Re: [RML] Ceriodaphnia

Adrian R. Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 06:13:07 +1000

At 10:36 1/06/98 -0700, Rhonda wrote:

>Adrian R. Tappin wrote:
>
>> Perhaps they are Ceriodaphnia? The reason I asked if anyone had cultured
>> them was that I had never heard of them before. I think Moina would be more
>> suited for culture in Queensland as they handle the higher temperatures
better.

>Nice information on the culturing and that. I don't know about adult vs.
young size they
>are all really small. I probably can't see the young. :) But as for heat I
live in AZ and
>it gets darn hot here. I've never really tried one way or the other to
culture mine they
>are just here everywhere. I have 2 kiddie pools outside with fish in them
and the are both
>very full of them. Whatever it is I have I know they can survive temps at
least up to about
>90 F, maybe higher.

Rhonda, perhaps they may be Moina? as stated above, Moina handle the heat
well. I don't know too many hobbyists here in Brisbane that's been very
successful raising daphnia for any length of time because of the heat. Some
have succeeded keeping them in a cool shady spot in their garden but most
attempts fail. What happens when it gets hot is that they just disappear.
What I now know is that they produce their "resting eggs" when the
temperature becomes unfavorably. These "resting eggs" will then hatch when
the temperature is more favorably and if there is an abundance of food for
them, only to die out again when it once again becomes hot. I believe this
is the reason the fish farmers in Singapore only grow Moina.

In Europe, on the only hand Daphnia do extremely well and they also have
another species called "Bosmida" which is another Daphnia type species.

Adrian.

Adrian R. Tappin
"Home of the Rainbowfish"
http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm