Re: [RML] Breeding tanks

Wright Huntley (huntley1 at home.com)
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 17:28:04 -0700

Dennis Holmes wrote:

> Wright
> Wouldn't the food spoil before the eggs hatch?
> The hatchlings have an egg sack for a while, don't they,
> wouldn't uneaten food make thinks messy

If there are a lot of plants, hence rotifers, paramecia, etc., then the
amounts I suggested just feed the infusoria. AFAIK *no** baby fish ever eat
Liquifry. Some surface feeders will eat egg/fish compounds like OSI's "APR."
Such baby foods are mostly to feed the microcritters that will squirm right
under their noses and trigger the "munch" reflex. For that you need a rich
soup of live critters such as green water (Euglena species) and smaller
paramecia.

Many babies hatch and start eating immediately. The ones with any
significant yolk sac are often like baby cichlids or Bettas where the
parents can fan and guard them.

I like to really overfeed babies. I therefore add some snails after all the
eggs have hatched. The snails eat excess food and turn it into fairly inert
pellets and infusoria fodder. Rotting foods are deadly as you suggest.

--

It was all for naught. Taxation with representation sucks too! *** http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ***