Re: [RML] M. preacox fry death

Gary Lange (gwlange at stlnet.com)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:21:12 -0500

Since you mentioned that you also raised killifish, at what temperature did
you attempt to raise up these fry? After the fry started dying did you ever
test the water for ammonia buildup. I stoped using the liquid fry on
rainbowfish some 15 years ago because it mainly sinks and the rainbowfry are
at the surface for the first few days when it's most critical. That stuff
just ended up fouling the water. That could possibly be the cause for the
slow die off. I have worked with the praecox before and really not had any
problem with them. They start a little small but raise quite easily.
That's why we've seen so many flooding the markets the last few years.

Gary Lange
gwlange at STLNET.com
Rainbowfish Study Group of North America
http://home.stlnet.com/~gwlange/rainbowfish.index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Tyrone <12860379 at narga.sun.ac.za>
To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au <rainbowfish at pcug.org.au>
Date: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 5:02 AM
Subject: [RML] M. preacox fry death

Hi

I'm new to rainbowfish.
To date I have kept M. boesmani, preacox and what looks like
splendidiae inornata as well as G. incus.
I have 8 boesmani youngsters coming along and the inornata fry I
have are already on BS.
My problem is the preacox. My pr produces as much as 40 fry per
week but to dat I have raized 9. I've had them since Jan. 4 of the
nine are adults while the other 5 are still small.
At one stage I had almost 100 fry with the parents. They all
disappearred over night. I thought the parents may of eaten them
but they have not repeated this.
Even with the parents removed the fry still die off. It is a well
astablished tank with Java moss etc... I also suplement with liquifry
and vinegar eels. There is no shortage of food. They just die.

Has any one else experianced this? Have any solutions been
found.

Being a killifish fanatic I'm used to "difficult" fish but normally once I
have the fry there are no problems.

I'm also having a problem with my incus eating their eggs but I think
I will have that problem solved next time I try.

Regards

Tyrone

"Jesus is Lord! Creation's voice proclaims it!"
-David J. Mensell