Re: [RML] What´s wrong for my praecox?

Adrian Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:02:55 +1000

At 07:11 13/07/99 +0100, you wrote:

>That's odd, sorry to hear about your praecox Olle. I wonder too how they
>react to higher temperatures ? Because yesterday hysteria spread among
>my praecox, just 1 had it's normal behaviour, the rest was hiding on the
>bottom between plants and caves, I couldn't even find them. They panicked
>with every movement. All other fish were fine. The water temp has reached
>27 C (normally between 24-25 degrees, the last couple of weeks 26) so I
>did an extra water change which lowered the temperature to 26 degrees again.
>They slowly came out with feeding time... Today all but one are in panic
>mode again (temperature still 26°) I have absolutely no clue what's going on.
>The tank is pretty stable and nothing has changed in months. I do a 30%
>water change weekly. So is it the temperature ? I didn't think that 27° is
>that high ?

I have kept Praecox at temperatures as high as 28-32C during our summer
months without any problems. However, they always seemed to be "flighty"
when anyone approached the tank. I kept them in a tank that was reasonably
well-planted, and yet a friend of mine kept his in a bare tank and they use
to be at the front of the tank all the time?

The other possibly cause could be velvet infection which often appears at
higher than normal temperatures. Velvet is also very difficult to see on
them - generally, the only way to tell sometimes is by abnormal behaviour?

Adrian.

Adrian R. Tappin
Brisbane, Australia.
"Home of the Rainbowfish"