Re: [RML] The most poisonous substance?

HH (Harro.Hieronimus at t-online.de)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:14:01 +0200

Adrian R. Tappin schrieb:
> At 16:18 19/07/98 +1000, you wrote:
> >Another interesting article about chemicals and deformaties.
> >
> >Yolonde
> >
> >http://whyfiles.news.wisc.edu/025chem_weap/dioxin3.html
>
> If I remember right dioxin was the active ingredient in 245-T and was used
> extensively as a herbicide in Australia (and all over the world) in the cane
> growing areas of North Queensland. In Vietnam this herbicide (Agent Orange)
> was used at strengths not allowed in agriculture. Deformities have been well
> documented in all animal species. Some farmers also suffered long-term
> effects from consistent use. I believe it is now a banned substance all over
> the world. One would think that mankind learnt his lesson but unfortunately
> we haven't. We must always remember that if we forget history we will be
> doomed to relive it again.
>
> Adrian.

Unfortunately dioxines (they are a class of similar compounds), which became
really wellknown after the Italian Seveso catastrophy, are not away from our
environment. They are produced in many cases if plastics, especially PVC, but
also a lot of others, are burned. However, they aren't the most poisonous toxic
ingredients in the world. This is Toxinum Botulinum, which is also known as
ptomaine. As botulism the result is known in animals and men, but this is so
little (it's measured in nanograms or picograms) that you may survive.

Best regards

Harro Hieronimus, Solingen, Germany
harro.hieronimus at t-online.de

No fish - no fun