Re: index, files, and rainbowfish information

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 23:37:17 +1000

At 09:07 PM 7/27/96 +0500, Cyrus wrote:
>there has got to be a better way to access information more quickly than
>through HTML. and you know what there is!! But when I tried it through
>the majordomo it just didn't work. Andrew why doesn't rainbowfish have any
>achived files?? (see below) (don't tell me they have a seperate HTML for
>it) I was going to suggest that absolutely everything written (on
>computer) in relation to our united interest be automatically put in the
>rainbowfish archived files available through e-mail. This can easily be
>done by sending the message direct to the list so that everyone can read
>it and then stored permanently or maybe it can be put directly in the
>filing system.

Cyrus - You tell me how to "easily" reconfigure the list config file so that
it auto-indexes, tell me how to tell everyone else how the index system
works, tell me how I can ask the PCUG for more room on their server without
paying for it to store the indexed archive, and give me a little time, and I
shall surely do it ;)

>All the person has to do then would be to type "index
>rainbowfish" ONLY in the body of the message addressed to
>Majordomo at auug.org.au and this person should receive a list to choose from,
>yes it has it's limitation but it is a fast and a simple way to get
>messages. Concequently this enables one to reread messages written before.
>(Currently as I'm writting this, I trying to get a successful example but
>out of four lists I'm subscribed to none of them are working, I'm probably
>bullshitting somewhere...get back on it when I unlock this mystery) Does
>anyone else know what I'm talking about??
>
>Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:34:14 +1000 (EST)
>To: cyrus at ois.com.au
>From: Majordomo at auug.org.au
>Subject: Majordomo results: Re: Majordomo results
>
>--

>#### No files available for rainbowfish.

Just because majordomo has a feature available to it doesn't mean that it
will be implemented by this or any other list - it is up to the list-owners,
of which I constitute half. This is exactly the situation with the "digest"
it is done, and if it can be done without FUBARing the list, or
disadvantaging any other list members, then it will happen. Re: the
"digest" situation - I have asked six other list-owners so far, and four
replied - the universal answer being (I may have said this before - if I am
repeating myself I apologise) "Uh, gee, I dunno, I pay the guy (who owns the
server) money and he does what I tell him to!". Well, we don't pay any
money for this list, and so we have to accept certain limitations. Or leave. ;)

In the meantime, the affordable doable solution is to hang our manual
archives off my home page. I cannot see that anyone is disadvantaged by
this in the slightest - as I keep saying every time I announce that the
previous month's archived postings are available on the archive, if anyone
is unable to access the Web and wants the archive, tell me and I'll email it
to them. No-one has requested it by email yet.

Regards, Andrew Boyd
Co-owner, Rainbowfish Mailing List