Re: Cold Temperatures (was Re: Darwin Residents)

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:17:59 +1000

At 10:15 AM 7/25/96 -0700, Andrew Hamilton wrote:

(snip)
> I think that most of the galaxids
>would suit lower temps, they seem to be more vulnerable at higher temps. The
>best thing to do would be to try and collect some fish in relatively shallow
>streams at some altitude.

We got nothing but relatively shallow streams at some altitude 'round here ;).

>This would ensure that they were reasonably
>climatised to cooler temperatures. The Galaxid family is good for ponds as
>they quite often swim in the top water layer making them occassionally
>visible, unlike Melat. species. You had better watch out for kookaburras
>though as they gratefully accept those fish which are kept in confined spaces.

We've seen maybe five Kookas in the eight years + since we've been here -
but it will have to be bird-proof anyhow because of the kids and ducks that
infest our back yard ;)

>Andrew (Da-jar-voo????)

Is that a type of Tea?

Regards, Andrew Boyd