Re: Mogurndas

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 07:24:12 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, David Bloch wrote:

> About three weeks ago I obtained two mogundas. One is about 9 cm, the other
> about 6cm. The problem is that the little one beets up the bigger one! I
> havent been able to sex them because they seem to either be hiding or
> chasing each otther aroun (little one chasing big one). What are the chances
> of them being a pair?

Since I'm not into statistics (actually, I hate them) I cannot really
venture an opinion on them being a pair. You can't really judge it by
their behaviour. Sometimes females beat on males and visa versa. My
suggestion would be to put a divider between the fish, condition both of
them up for a few weeks, provide some spawning sites (teracota pots
worked well for me--4-6 inch diameter at the opening). Keep your temps
around 24oC. Let them go and watch carefully that one doesn't kill the
other. If they do spawn you may want to split the pair again as
everything will look fine until you see a dead female, it doesn't take
long, trust me. One can often raise the fry with the parents, typically
I just start them off with baby brine shrimp. The first batch of fry
will also eat and subsequent spawns which may or may not be a blessing
depending upon your slant. I always prefer to be cautious with most
mogurndas as their can be considerable variation in meanness amongst
populations.

Tootles

Peter Unmack