RE: [RML] Cold tolerance

Matthew Stanton (matthews at sf.nsw.gov.au)
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:14:09 +1000

This topic should be reasonably well covered on the archive.

In my area large volume outside ponds get down to about 7 degrees.
At this temperature, P. signifer survives as will some strains of Mel.
duboulayi (and Mel. fluviatilis). I haven't found any other Melanotaenia
that make it past 13 degrees (Have tried M.s. tatei (Georgina River), M.s.
splendida (one of the Atherton region ones) and M.s. inornata (two types).
The tatei did the best out of these, behaving "normally" right up to the
point when they disappeared/died. Rhadinocentrus ornatus from around Coffs
Harbour can certainly go as low as 10-12 degrees but I haven't tried them
over winter in a pond yet.
I have some P. mellis in an unheated 60l tank behind my desk at work. The RC
air conditioning goes off over the weekend and it probably gets pretty cold
in there but they always seem fit and healthy.

In the Gudgeon department, most purple spots don't seem to appreciate low
temperatures, possibly requiring at least 15 degrees but Empires from around
Sydney are still feeding at 10 degrees (look pretty dull though). Many of
the other temperate Hypseleotris are active at even lower temperatures. I
just remembered your question was about rainbows and blue-eyes so I'll shut
up now.

Later
Matthew