Re: [RML] Dark half or quarter on rainbowfish

Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:24:28 -1000

The big problem with all this is time for resistance to develop. The cost of
diagnosis and replacement stock etc is beyond most hobbyists as Carvi has
found. These costs vary from place to place but here could range from A$50
to A$100 more or less ( according to Dave Wilson).

Considering how much of this TB problem may be the hidden part of the
iceberg when we consider the monetary implications for the aquarium fish and
aquaculture industries as well as the possibilities of human infection in
these 2 as well as swimming pool granulomas, whale and porpoise shows,
public aquaria and all the people involved along the way we could make a
good case to the politicians to fund research towards the development of a
cheap reliable test for Mycobacteria.

Once we have such a test then supplementary tests for virulence(?animal
innoculation) and ID (sensitivity to antibiotics, culture requirements etc)
would follow.

If our US members, our Oz members and our various European members all
mounted a co-ordinated approach who knows what we might acheive?

What do you all think???

Regards,
Bruce.

Bruce Hansen, A.N.G.F.A., Advancing Australian Aquatics.