Re: [RML] Out of the FRYing pan

Julie Zeppieri (jazep at www.peter.unmack.net)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:43:00 -0700 (MST)

Hi Julie

Just my 2-cents' worth, but I would not bother removing the gravel. Yes,
it will get dirty, but it also has a whole lot of surface area for
bacteria, which aid in keeping the water in good shape. Those snail babies
(?) you got on the plant would be a good thing to add to the fry tank if
they are big enough that you can move them right now. I use all difft
kinds of snails, and small ones work just fine. :) When you do start
doing your H2O changes, you can use the hydro-vac to get the debris out of
the gravel bed. baby bows are pretty good at staying away from the siphon,
so you *shouldn't* have any problems there. :) The snails will do a good
job of going through the gravel and eating any extra food there, as well.
Snail poop is very clean, as snails digest almost everything they take in.
Fish, humans, etc. aren't nearly as efficient digesters as they are! ;)

Hope this helps.
Julie <><