Re: [RML] Praecox

Cary Hostrawser (caryho at ix.netcom.com)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:59:49 GMT

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:49:07 +1100, Andrew Boyd <andrew at pcug.org.au>
wrote:
>I can say this in the knowledge that Peter Unmack is away for a couple more
>days yet... he'll tell us that it could be due to more factors than just
>genetic, and that a crappy specimen can sire (or dam) a good one, if the bad
>one is bad because it was raised in a toilet bowl.

So true Andrew, I've done this myself. Not long ago all the fry I
raised had deformed fins. I corrected my water problems and know these
fish are still good for breeding. I've kept a few because I have no
other stock. I'm not too embarrassed having these fish around and
explain to folks visiting my fish room what happened. Still I'll be
glad when I get a new generation out of to replace these poor finned
fish.
But if you're not sure of the fishes history you need to be a little
more circumspect. It takes a fair amount of time and effort to confirm
its was just the raising conditions that produced poor stock without
this history. If I've no other choice I might do this, but if I can
get better stock I'd definitely would.
Cary Hostrawser

Minnesota Aquarium Society
http://www.mn-aquarium.org/

Rainbowfish Study Group of North America
http://home.earthlink.net/~sbuckel/index.html