[RML] Gertrudae and flavours thereof

finsen at optusnet.com.au
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:02:41 +1100

Hi Julie,

I keep two different strains of P.gertrudae, one from the Olive River on the east coast of
Cape York and the second from Kennedy Creek near Cardwell on the northern
Queensland east coast (south of Cairns).

Both "flavours" are quite different in terms of finage (the Olives have larger overall
finage), colour (the Olives have more orange, the Cardwells are more "spotty") and size
(the Olives grow about 25% larger).

Then again I have seen the Weipa gertrudae (on the west coast, slightly more south
than the Olive River) and they are different yet again, similar in size to the Olives but
lots of orange on the pecs, lots more yellow over all, and lots more spots.

These sorts of morphs seem to exist in almost all rainbowfish, blue eyes and even
some gudgeons (from my personal observation).

I personally have only seen a couple of different morphs of tenellus as they pass
through my hands at ANGFA Qld auctions, and as such I cannot really comment on
these sp. But gertrudae do exibit wide regionally variations, but none that causes a
viewer to think that it is not a gertrudae (ie/ they all are about an inch and look like a
yellowy spotty blue eye).

caio
Graeme

PS: Those cardwell fish are tough! They can withstand Brisbane winter conditions
(down to 0 degC on the odd occassion with frosts) and breed like crazy. Not bad for a
little beasty who is from about 1200km away from home!