RE: [RML] [Fwd: [Rainbowfish] Fw: [Aqua-culture] News on Koi virus]

Matthew Stanton (matthews at sf.nsw.gov.au)
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:17 +1100

Actually foxes were introduced on their own merits, i.e.. For "English
Gentlemen" to hunt, just as the rabbits were.
Probably the best example of a biological control agent gone wrong is
the Cane Toad.

In Australia we have only a couple of successes with self sustaining
biological control. Prickly Pear cactus controlled by Cactoblastis moths
is the best. More controversial is myxo for rabbits.

On the carp front, there is some progress in physical barriers and
extraction of carp from major rivers. Personally I don't hold a lot of
hope for the daughterless gene approach although it may provide a
temporary reduction in numbers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christophe Mailliet [christophe.mailliet at web.de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:31 PM
To: r_m_l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [RML] [Fwd: [Rainbowfish] Fw: [Aqua-culture] News on Koi
virus]
SNIP
There are several examples of how exactly this type of "solution" made
things worse, especially in Australia. Weren't foxes introduced in Oz to
eradicate the rabbits?? But as far as I know, they did not eat the
rabbits but rather all the smaller and slower marsupials..
SNIP

This Email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient and
may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorised
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply Email and
destroy all copies as well as the original message. All views expressed
in this Email are those of the sender, except where specifically stated
otherwise, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Forests NSW.