Re: [RML] Purple Spotted Gudgeon in NSW

PETER.UNMACK at ASU.Edu
Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:12:08 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Matthew Stanton wrote:

> Is there anyone in RML land who has caught/observed/heard rumour of Purple
> Spotted Gudgeon in Eastern NSW. I haven't and I wonder if they really exist
> there.

There are lots of records from the Brisbane River, but south of here things
get pretty sparse, there are records from Wager's Qld fish distribution paper
from the Albert/Logan rivers and the south coast drainages but no museum
specimens. There are several records for coastal NSW, all in the Australian
Museum, Clarence River (1904), (undated), Lake Hiawatha (1974), and Lake
Minnie Waters (1974). I think I checked some of these specimens, and couldn't
find others but it wouldn't hurt to have another look through their holdings
to confirm the identifications on all the collections.

Hope that helps. If you ever find any put some fin clips in ethanol. :-)

Cheers
Peter Unmack