Re: [RML]Unusual spawning site

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:35:05 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Rhonda Wilson wrote:

> rainbows are jumpier, just the other day I was moving some Giddy tris out of
> the living room back into a bigger tank in the fish room. I used about a 4

That story reminds me of Roy "collecting" rainbowfish. He would fill the
bucket full and wonder why they jumped out as quick as he could put them
back in. :-) I would just follow him back to the Landrover and pick up
all the ones that jumped out of his bucket that he didn't see and put
them in my specimen bucket. :-)

> no way in the world that anyone in the US might know of any M. adspersa that
> might somehow be accessable. It just bothers me to no end that the 2 I have
> here of Peters

These are the endangered Murray-Darling stock. These were originally
brought in by Scott Buckel from me when I was still in Australia. I
obtained Scott's last two fish which both turned out to be one sex. Roy
brought back some juveniles from Glenn Briggs in Melbourne and again we
ended up with two more fish, all four being the same sex. The only way
there would be more is if Scott knows of anyone who would have offspring
from his. It is a pity, as this are a pretty form and the only one I'm
aware of that are basically non agressive.

> (hmm, these fish have been here a long time it's getting harder
> to think of them as not being mine. :)

If you can breed them you can keep the offspring. :-) That's all I ask
whenever I let anyone look after my fish. :-)

That's one of Heinz Staude's reputed old tricks. He would give people new
cichlids to breed for him. He'd give a few to two people, one would get
males, the other females. They would feed them and look after them, get
them up to a nice size and then bring them back 'cause they couldn't breed
them. :-)

Tootles

Peter Unmack