Re: [RML] Re: Hybrid ethics-

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 16:52:16 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 andrew.boyd at dfat.gov.au wrote:

> moronic fisherfolk following antiquated "Acclimatisation
> Society" paths, are royally stuffing things further up even today?

Absolutely. Much of it is in the name of humanity. I know folks who've
been recently collecting killies in Gabon (west Africa) who have come
across folks ponding up streams and introducing tilapia so the natives
have food. I wonder what they ate for the thousands of years before
tilapia?

> Who is this David Coates? The name is familiar. He seriously advocates
> spreading Tilapia through PNG? Maybe my brain is addled through too much
> homebrew, but I can't concieve of anyone wanting to do this in real life.

Perhaps not through all of PNG, but certainly the Sepik-Ramu.

Take a look at the following;

Fish ecology and management of the Sepik-Ramu, New Guinea, a large
contemporary tropical river basin. Environmental Biology of Fishes.
1993. 38: 345-368.

His address given in the paper is Fisheries Department, Food and
Agriculture Organisation, c/o United Nations Development Program. FAO
and UN pays his bills basically.

Tootles

Peter Unmack