Re: [RML] Re: Hybrid ethics-

jazep at www.peter.unmack.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:21:57 +1100 (EST)

Sender: owner-rainbowfish at pcug.org.au

I actually like it that they scrape my Anubias, as this is the only way I
have any luck keeping the algae from smothering their leaves. Anubias have
very long-lived leaves, but they are also very tough like a terrestrial
plant. The bushies can't really damage the leaves, but they can scrape off
the algae that tends to grow on the leaves over time. In the absence of
the bushies, I have also used scrubby pads and toothbrushes to scrape it
off myself. I like the plecs much better, as it is less work for me! <g>

I did, however, remove the adults bushies from the tank where they had
developed a taste for my Crypts. ;) I have since also found that
increasing the amount of green food I feed to them on a weekly basis (ie:
adding another feeding of spirulina disk food, etc) helps to get them to
leave the plants alone... except for scraping algae that is.

BTW, I just put 4 young bushies into my 55. They cleaned it overnight! :)

Julie <><