Re: [RML] Only for North Americans

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:20:52 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Roy Hunter wrote:

> What do you want me to say about ssi? Do I have a need for it within the
> current page? Not that I can see. I would be happy to do something with it
> if you give me a senerio where it would be of some use for what I am doing.

A blind man...... ssi stands for server side includes, typically files
are named with the extension .shtml, the precursor to html. Whether or
not ssi works depends upon the web server software and the system
administrator desire to enable it. ssi has many capabilities, you can
automatically insert files, issue commands and even run scripts and
programs similar, but simpilar than cgi. For instance, on the desert
fishes council web page we have several hundred files which all have the
same background and footers. Obviously, if one wanted to change that
under your system one would have to edit every single file. Using ssi
you only need to edit one file to change all the files on your system.
It can also be used to automatically insert a last modified date and you
can automatically insert file sizes, ie
There is more if you bother to get off your Butthead and look into it.

> Internic registers the domain with every server on the net, how specific it
> is I dont know at this point untill the name takes affect. The server
> operator informed me that .org domain names take longer to authorize hence
> the delay. It "should be this week or so he says.....

That is completely different to indexing/web searches available that
people use.

Tootles

Peter Unmack

Confusius says "put Rooster in freezer to get hard cock"