Re: [RML] D.G inbreeding

Adrian R. Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 06:48:15 +1000

At 21:40 7/02/97 +1000, Rob wrote:
>Adrain T wrote:
>
>>I found that even with wild stock the success rate was very low. My initial
>>wild stock consisted of 2 males and five females and the number of eggs
>>collected over the first 3 weeks was 180. Of these only 79 hatched - a mere
>>43%. The problem I find is similiar to Peters in that getting eggs is not
>>the problem getting them to hatch is! I find that many of the eggs are soft
>>and of course don't hatch. I haven't done a percentage check on good eggs
>>lately but suspect that its still around 40% or less.
>
>In light of my earlier posting do you think it may be behavioural?

My breeding population is maintained in a 90x45 cm aquarium (I don't think
depth makes any different) and I have also provided more mops as per your
suggestion. While some of the males actively display to each other I don't
think they overdo it. The setup could easily provide individual sites for at
least 6-8 males without viewing other males. (they don't seem to need too
large an area - not in captivity anyway). Sub-males and females swim in the
open part at around 4-6 inches above the substrate. Water quality is tops -
perhaps I should neglect them ;-)

Rod is breeding his in a bare bones 50 litre aquarium with 2 mops (1
floating, 1 sunk)and getting the same or better result than me????

I've really run out of ideas ;-)

Adrian.
Adrian R. Tappin
Home of the Rainbowfish