RE: [RML] Galaxiids

John Hawkins (john.hawkins at blechnum.net)
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:14:37 -0100

Matthew,

thanks for your reply. I'll probably join the ANGFA, as you say the cost is not great.

I came across the 'Native Fish Australia' website and spent a few minutes browsing there, which inspired me to ask the question. An equivalent New Zealand list is http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas/key.htm, if anyone is interested.

I've got plans for a coldwater aquarium once the children get a bit bigger ( the youngest is four months ) and more able to look after themselves. We've got an old pigsty on the section that is kept frost free as I've got a workshop there and various potted plants overwintering in it, which should do nicely for the aquarium. There are a few local fish species, such as Gobio gobio and Barbatula barbatula, which I'd like to have a go at. Though in general there doesn't seem to be many species locally here in Sweden, presumably because of the effects of the ice ages and the fact that smaller watercourses may freeze solid during the winter.

Having grown up on a farm in New Zealand which backed onto a reasonable sized river as well as the having the usual creeks, I grew up poking around in watercourses, so my interest probably is in things that live in freshwater in general rather than any fish in particular. I got onto rainbowfish because once I got settled down enough from travelling around to be able to have aquariums - and children for that matter - they were the only fish from Australasia readily available here in Sweden. Apart from their more obvious qualities of course. ( This last paragraph will do as something of an introduction, I've lurked in the group for quite a while now without saying much ).

cheers, John in a white and deep frozen Sweden.