Re: [RML] gertrudae & ladigesi in Chicago & DC

Gary Lange (rainbowfish4u2 at yahoo.com)
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:03:36 -0800 (PST)

--0-320771935-1109016216=:89827

Telmatherina or Marosatherina, you wouldn't find those in "Allen's book" on rainbowfish as they don't come from Oz/NG. You won't find any Madagascar fish in any book either except in Harro's. BTW I think it was a good idea to include them as they are interesting fish and now perhaps they'll get a bit more play in the hobby, when they are available.

Tony Orso (NJ) has brought in gertrudae before and he does supply some of the shops in NY/NJ area. I also saw them in that nice shop in Greenwich CT which isn't that far away when I was there a few years back. They are on wholesalers lists so if you ask for them your retailer, most likely, if he has any connections at all, can get them for you.

Celebes rainbowfish are a bread and butter fish in the US. Even Petsmart carries them. I don't shop at Wallyworld but I'm sure even Walmart has them from time to time. BTW you won't find them listed in the US (in most fish shops) under "Marosatherina" for another 15-20 years. The name change will have to hit the major picture atlases before you start to see the change. By then they'll probably change the genus name again :-) Pseudomugil furcata is another fish that is frequently on the wholesale lists and you'll still see them listed as "Popondetta" even though it's been something like 10 years since that change.

Fish in the DC/NOVA area - Dont' know what NOVA is but if you are referring to Washington DC area there is an excellent shop in Gaithersburg MD run by Jim Karanikas. I think the number is 301-921-0000. Don't remember the name of the shop but Jim has a LOT of rainbowfish. He usually has 8-10+ species around.

cheers,

Gary Lange

piaba <piabinha at yahoo.com> wrote:
at least in NYC, you'll never find gertrudae or any
other Pseudomugil for that matter. very rarely you'll
find furcatus and signifer.

Marosatherina laddigesi used to be Telmatherina
laddigesi so maybe that's why you are not finding it
in your books.

tsuh yang

---------------------------------

--0-320771935-1109016216=:89827

Telmatherina or Marosatherina, you wouldn't find those in "Allen's book" on rainbowfish as they don't come from Oz/NG.  You won't find any Madagascar fish in any book either except in Harro's.  BTW I think it was a good idea to include them as they are interesting fish and now perhaps they'll get a bit more play in the hobby, when they are available.

Tony Orso (NJ) has brought in gertrudae before and he does supply some of the shops in NY/NJ area.  I also saw them in that nice shop in Greenwich CT which isn't that far away when I was there a few years back.  They are on wholesalers lists so if you ask for them your retailer, most likely, if he has any connections at all, can get them for you.

Celebes rainbowfish are a bread and butter fish in the US.  Even Petsmart carries them.  I don't shop at Wallyworld but I'm sure even Walmart has them from time to time.  BTW you won't find them listed in the US (in most fish shops) under "Marosatherina" for another 15-20 years.  The name change will have to hit the major picture atlases before you start to see the change.  By then they'll probably change the genus name again :-)  Pseudomugil furcata is another fish that is frequently on the wholesale lists and you'll still see them listed as "Popondetta" even though it's been something like 10 years since that change.

Fish in the DC/NOVA area - Dont' know what NOVA is but if you are referring to Washington DC area there is an excellent shop in Gaithersburg MD run by Jim Karanikas.  I think the number is 301-921-0000.  Don't remember the name of the shop but Jim has a LOT of rainbowfish.  He usually has 8-10+ species around.

cheers,

Gary Lange

piaba <piabinha at yahoo.com> wrote:
at least in NYC, you'll never find gertrudae or any
other Pseudomugil for that matter.  very rarely you'll
find furcatus and signifer.

Marosatherina laddigesi used to be Telmatherina
laddigesi so maybe that's why you are not finding it
in your books.

tsuh yang

> The ladgesi have been here for even longer.  They
> are sort of considered a bread and butter, like the
> "australian rainbowfish" that is always offered up.
> There are some good pet stores in the Chicago area.
> Might be worth your while to go check them out.
> Also there are some even better petshops in the
> Milwaukee area, just a short drive away.
> uhm, they're not in Allen's book as Allen's book
> covered OZ & NG.

--0-320771935-1109016216=:89827--