Geckoes (was Re: [RML] Re: Mystery/Apple Snails/quarantine)

andrew.boyd at dfat.gov.au
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 8:49:58 +1000

Thanks Adrian, hmm, they sound like wonderful critters ;) I wonder if
there are any in private hands in NSW, now duly permitted after the
amnesty? If there are we may be able to one day legally keep them in
the ACT :)

Just on the redbacks... we moved into our house here in Canberra in
1988, and haven't had the place sprayed since - there were redbacks
when we arrived, but they soon disappeared - our neighbours who have
their places sprayed get dozens of them. My guess is that our
thriving harmless arachnofauna (we live with several species of
spiders running about our house) either out compete or just plain eat
the redbacks... maybe what you really need up there are some of our
monster Huntsman spiders to eat your redbacks ;)

Pity more people don't use their native biological control agents...
:)

Regards, Andrew