Re: [RML] C. bleheri

Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:21:22 +1000

Chris Drew wrote re "flushing" -

I just wonder if we could consider the risks of introducing unwanted fish
and disease organisms into the environment by the practice of "flushing" or
putting the bodies down the garbage grinder.

In this country there is some speculation that some of the viruses found in
imported aquarium fish from South America have found their way to the
environment and may be involved in major deaths of our native frog
populations.

The old saying that "conservation begins in our own backyards" may well be
a good starting point and we should perhaps be recommending some guidelines
for our fellow hobbyists in the hope that the environment will stay safer
for our native fish and all the other inhabitants of their ecosystems.

What do we do with the diseased bodies - do we bury them, pickle them, dry
them, we can't freeze them forever, just put them in the bin and allow the
decomposition to become obvious???

Now Chris - I know you didn't say that YOU did the flushing, I was just
using your line as an intro.

Bruce Hansen