Re: [RML] RE: Re: M. herbertaxelrodi/trifasciata

Roy Hunter (Rainbows01 at sprynet.com)
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 17:17:12 -0700

Seeing how we are talking millions of years here in evoloution why is there
a seperation of species between fish like rubrostriata/inorata
goldei/trifasciata
oktediensis/trifasciata there are common fish within sahul such as werneri
and gertrudae but rainbow wise there is little else..(common as in the same
fish found in both land masses like werneri) correct me if I am wrong but
the two masses were joined 15,000 to 10,000 year ago durring the last ice
age. That does not seem to be ample time for the changes to constitute a
new species. If it is then there should be greater differences in the fish
found in oz that are widespread like Trifasciata's. I dont think a lot of
those populations have "crossed" within the last 15,000 years, and there
are a lot of body differences in them. What makes rubrostriata a seperate
species from an inornata? obviously there is one and why do differences in
inornata's not exist within OZ. well maybe tati could be an example but you
get the impression that species differences are geographical. ie no
Chalitherina's or Glossolepis in oz nor any Trifasciata's, splendida's, in
New Guinea....

My Mail program adds the previous message..just deal with it :-)
Roy Hunter
ANGFA NA
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/royhunter