Re: [RML] Honey Blue Eyes

Scott.Hunt at mailhost.dpie.gov.au
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:14:24 +1000

And out of interest Mr. T, do you pick the eggs from the mops or float the
mops in a hatching tank???

I was speaking to a reliable breeder who said that he always had trouble
(like what I have described) if he handled the eggs.

Cheers.
Scott Hunt

At 12:44 9/12/96 -0500, Philter4 wrote:

>I recieved eight fish from a friend in Europe and had no luck raising the
>eggs until I brought the pH and hardness up a little. The fish were kept
in >soft water at first and I got no fertile eggs so I called my friend.
He kept >the fish in a 200 ppm. hardness and a 7.5 >pH and after changing
the water to >match I got fertile eggs and after >about 20 days viable fry.

I have always found Honey Blue-eyes do better in water conditions similiar
to that described above! They might be found in soft, acidic water but I
believe it is not their preferred conditions. I have regularly bred them at
pH 7.8 hardness 210 ppm.(one for the purists to argue about)

Adrian T.
Adrian R. Tappin
Home of the Rainbowfish