Re: [RML] Julie's question again (was Re: Rainbow Size

Julie Zeppieri (bowluvr at hotmail.com)
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:08:03 -0800

So, then, Gary, does this mean that you agree with that forum-guy's
explanation of the physiological "whys" in which taking a fish from high pH
to low will likely kill it, but taking it from low to high will likely not
hurt it?? I don't really see how that works, myself.

Seems to me this does not take into account that the ionic content of the
water may be close to the same from the "higher" pH to the "lower" one --
such as when one goes from say a 7.1 down to 5.4. I can get a higher pH
water here in Portland w/out greatly altering either KH or GH, and I don't
ever use much more than just some crushed shell or aragonite to keep pH from
tanking (outside of Rift Lake tanks, at least). Don't use much NaCl either
unless a problem (eg: Velvet) calls for it. Granted, I don't have a way to
test ionic content, but my tests do show that my water is still considered
"soft" even at pHs above 7. And yet in the above scenario, I *can* kill a
fish by just dumping it into a 5.4 tank from out of a 7.1 tank, even a
species which can theoretically handle the 5.4 if acclimated slowly, and
despite the fact that it doesn't seem to me that the ionic content would be
that different.

However, when I "shoot the elevator to the top floor" by dumping Rift Lake
buffer into a tank that was previously at about 7.4-ish and relatively soft,
sending it up to KH 13 and pH 8.3 (and goodness knows what GH or ionic
content), and the fish don't even seem to notice, well, I must say I am
stumped by this "ionic is the cause" answer. If this IS the case, can you
explain it to me so I get it? 'Cause I don't.

Mebbee I is just thick inna head or sumpin' -- dunno. ;-)

Thanks!

Julie <'><

PS: FYI, the male Boeseman was 11 years old at least, and my guess is he
woulda lived for at least another 3 to 5 years barring that misfortune. My
6-year-old Coen River Trifasciatas are still breeding like champs, too.
Rainbows (as opposed to Blue-Eyes) can live a long time given good care. I
don't think a decade is uncommon from what I have heard over the years.