Re: [RML] 'myxobacteriosis' (was Change of subject!!!)

Adrian Tappin (atappin at ecn.net.au)
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 16:31:24 +1000

At 11:21 28/08/99 -0500, Scott wrote:
>Hi Adrian!
>
> Sometimes others can get throught to a site and I can't and vice versa.
>(It sounds like majic to me...) If you already have seen this, sorry to
>waste your time. However here is the text from that page Hugo alluded to. In
>light of what you and others have been writing on and reporting on the
>topic, their's is either amusing or highly distressing. Lurking as I have on
>the RML has been very rewarding and your discussions of the fish
>"tuberculosis" leaves me very much in your debt.

Thanks Scott for the information and kind remarks. I guess the disease
everyone is referring to is the following section?

>Myxobacteriosis
>Symptoms: Symptoms may include black patches on the body and fins. The body
>may
>become bloated or swollen in some areas.
>Treatment: As far as I know, there is only one medication designed
>specifically
>for myxobacteriosis--Phenocide by Aquatronics.
>Information: This infection is rather uncommon but fairly easy to treat. Its
>probability is intensified by overcrowding and poor water quality with high
>levels of ammonia and / or nitrites.

I don't know if the above is a spelling mistake or not, but there is a
bacterial disease caused from Myxobacteria (notice the x and not c). I've
come across this bacteria on a number of occasions when searching for
information on Mycobacteria. Below is an extract from an article by Vicki S.
Blazer that I found somewhere.

"All of the gram - bacteria that cause disease in fish are rods. They are
first differentiated on size - the short rods are 1-3 um while the long rods
are 4-12 um. The long rods belong to the group Myxobacteria. Three genera
have been listed under this group - Sporocytophaga, Chondrococcus and
Cytophaga. The Chondrococcus have been changed to Flexibacter. The taxonomy
of this whole group is in the process of being re-evaluated. This group is
now referred to as the gram -, pigmented rods and it includes the long,
flexing, sometimes filamentous rods - Flexibacter and Cytophaga and also a
group of nonmotile, short to long rods - Flavobacterium. All of these
produce pigments - either yellow, orange or a reddish-orange pigment. These
are all now being studied using more sophisticated techniques such as DNA
homology and it appears that the warmwater isolates are different than the
coldwater isolates. It may be that all coldwater will be under Cytophaga and
the warmwater under Flexibacter. It's yet to be seen where the Flavobacteria
will be."

Vicki Blazer received a B.S. in Marine Science and Biology from Southampton
College of Long Island University in 1976. She worked for approximately 1
year as a biological aide at the National Marine Fisheries Service lab in
Milford, CT, where she acquired an interest in fish diseases and fish
immunology. She attended the University of Rhode Island from 1977-1982 where
her major professor was Dr. Richard Wolke, a veterinary pathologist. After
receiving a PhD in 1982, in Aquacultural Sciences and Pathology she accepted
a postdoctoral research position in the Medical Microbiology Department of
the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Georgia.

Here is another one mentioned in a product description:

"ARK-KLENS is particularly useful in treating external bacterial infections
such as Bacterial Gill Disease (BGD) where Myxobacteria are multiplying
within a film of mucus on the gills. The dual action of detergent and
bactericide is important since bacterial growth is inhibited and the mucus
lifted off by the detergent effect. As a treatment it is generally not as
useful as Chloramine T, it should be looked on as a symptomatic treatment
for clogged gills and other compounds should be used for elimination of
causal organisms."

Are you still on the list Denise Petty - perhaps you could give us some more
information?

Adrian.

Adrian R. Tappin
Brisbane, Australia.