Re: [RML] genetically modified hysteria

Bruce Hansen (bruceh at powerup.com.au)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:51:09 +1000

Thanks Roger

It is really nice to see some enthusiasm for a topic even if it isn't
directly on fish !!

Like many other applications of science, genetic modification has the
potential to do a lot of good if applied appropriately and of course the
converse applies also.

Whenever man decides to cultivate any living thing for whatever reason -
food, shelter, pets etc then by selection, hybridisation and other
techniques we modify the genetic makeup of that particular strain. Sometimes
that is to the detriment of the survival potential of that strain in the
wild and if the "improved" genes are allowed to mix back into the wild
population it can be disastrous for it.

If these "super-modified" current organisms developed by gene splicing and
other advanced techniques are used inappropriately then of course they too
can be a potential hazard. That doesn't make them "bad" it just means that
like everything else they need to be used with care and consideration for
the environment and those whose livelihoods are likely to be adversely
impacted.

Bruce Hansen, A.N.G.F.A., Advancing Australian Aquatics.