Re: [RML] Melanotaenia trifasciata and pH

HH (Harro.Hieronimus at t-online.de)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 15:50:14 +0200

Some chemist answering :-)

The pH just tells about the number of iones and not about the quality of the
ingredients. A pH of 5 may be without problems produced by humic acids, but also
may be produced of other ingredients (CO2). Thus the pH is not unimportant but
shouldn't be overestimated. The best is to have it close to 7 or buffered, as
the strong changes affect the fishes most to my experience.

Harro

gfinsen at schneider.com.au schrieb:

> I would agree with Bruce, in the pH is relatively unimportant *chemically*
> speaking as it is normally coupled with the actually molarity of the
> acid/base involved. Maybe when the molarity of the individual acid
> (tannic....whatever) gets high, coupled with low pH, then prehaps the
> distress in the fish is noticable as they will be receiving what amounts to
> chemical burns.
>
> Have we any chemists out there???????
>
> Many Thanks
> or as we fishkeepers say....
> Many Tanks
>
> Graeme (driver of the LemonCruiser :-)
>

> "Bruce Hansen" <bruceh at powerup.com.au> on 08/15/99 09:29:15 PM
>
> Please respond to rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
>
> To: rainbowfish at pcug.org.au
> cc: (bcc: Graeme J Finsen/AU/Schneider)
>
> Subject: Re: [RML] Melanotaenia trifasciata and pH
>

> As far as pH is concerned, I remember talking to Ed Fraser (at Pisces
> Enterprises) who keeps some fish in his plant tanks. At one stage he tried
> continuous monitoring of pH in some of his tanks, and gave up after a
> couple
> of weeks as the swings in pH associated with photosynthesis were so extreme
> and seemed unrelated to any distress in his fish that he deemed it
> unimportant .
>
> Perhaps it is not the pH but the chemical nature of the individual acids
> that si important.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce.
>
> Bruce Hansen, A.N.G.F.A., Advancing Australian Aquatics.
>
> Bruce Hansen, ANGFA, caring for our aquatic ecosystems.
>
> Please visit us at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~fisher/angfa.htm

Best regards

Harro Hieronimus, Solingen, Germany
harro.hieronimus at t-online.de