Re: [RML] SPAM gudgeon question

Andrew Boyd (andrew at pcug.org.au)
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:47:43 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 peter.unmack at ASU.Edu wrote:

> Take a look in a dictionary, here is what
> http://work.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster? gives for check;
>
> A written order directing a bank or banker to pay money as therein stated.

Ummm, Petey, Webster's is a dictionary of the American dialect of English,
not the standard strain we speak and write here in Australia which is
closer to it's British roots. TBSAD the Macquarie Abomination, erm,
Dictionary is now the standard with many government bodies here.

If you want some examples of where American diverges from Standard, look
at any word ending in -ise (usually -ize now in American), and others that
we would spell as analogue, programme, night, colour, just as a few that
come to mind.

So when Alan makes the observation that you are Americanised, he is, as
far as I am able to determine, telling the truth. For myself I can see no
shame in that, hell, some of my best friends are Americans ;) We just use
different versions of the same language - and it is different again from
the English of Elizabeth 1's time.

Cheers, Andrew