Re: Sourcing good Aussies

Andrew.Boyd at dfat.gov.au
Sun, 11 Aug 96 20:04:10 EST

Chris wrote:
>On august o8, Andrew Boyd wrote:... Which is why I
>feel that if one is serious about obtaining fish
>for long-term maintenance,
>they should come from a trusted fishroom of an ANGFA/RSG/IRG
>member...
>This brings to mind a thought. I agree that this is the
>best source for quality fish. Can I order live fish fish
>from Australia from individual hobbyists? What are the
>realities of such an idea? Not being there I imagine things
>to be quite different than they really are.

I'm not sure what the situation is there, Chris... I'm sure it has happened in
the past, but unsure of how legal it is...

>Over here the fish and egg trading net is small but fairly
>effective. I assume there is some roadblock or else I'd be
>trading with more people than just Ron Bowman!

Not sure, you'll have to ask around...

>Also relying on someone to visit Australia every so often is just too
>haphazard. How about a bulletin board thingy whereby people who are
>travelling back and forth or know others who are and would help, could let
>the rest of us know While this may not be the same as hunting down Gertrudae
>in some little Croc infested backwater at Three o'clock in the morning, I'm
>sure many of you are beginning to see that my level of OBSESSION is the
>Same!;-)
>Chris Drew

Chris... This list functions as a bulletin board of sorts for those
after a particular fish wanted/spare... I said in a posting a while
back that I'd be happy if it were used as a "Trading Post" of sorts as
long as there was no full-on commercial spamming... No-one objected at
the time, or since, so I guess it is still OK. If you know someone
who is coming to Australia, or an Aussie going over there, who can
"legally" (otherwise, don't involve the list ;) ) bring fish in for
you, then by all means ask about the availability of the fishes here,
via the list. I don't know how much room Roy H. has to take fish back
(you'll have to ask him that!) but I am sure that we could persuade
people to come up with at least some of his/your wish list. What if
you clear it with Roy, then post a wish list here... as long as it's
OK with Roy, that is.

Regards, Andrew