Re: Fw: [RML] Gutworm

Frex (frex at macrae.com.au)
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 18:06:52 +1000

At 04:18 PM 4/5/97 +1000, Dr Bruce wrote:

>In an aquarium situation, except when live foods are added (e.g. Cyclops,
>Daphnia, perhaps Tubifex, since they live in muck), copepods are in short
>supply so fish to fish infestation is the most likely mode.

This particular fish arrived here infected, Bruce... I have been feeding
fish almost daily for the last 10 years with Daphnia from the local Sewerage
Works settling ponds and have not had this filthy parasite in my fishes
before... the only other local case was associated with the arrival of some
fish from up north - does Camallanus exist in the wild or is it a purely
aquarium thing? Is it a native parasite? Is it found in Australian waterways?

The bottom line is, if I feed my fishies live wild-caught fish will I
reinfect them? Lance Lloyd, whom I heard at an ANGFA(Vic) meeting a few
years back, seemed to think that the only parasite that Gambusia holbrooki
carried were Hookworms... does this hold with your experience? I am
assuming that this is how the afflicted one came to be so afflicted...
Anecdotal evidence suggests that Camallanus is fairly readily spread, is
this what really happens? Can the eggs/newly born parasites be transmitted
in water? Attach themselves to nets, plants?

I am interested in not seeing this thing spread any further in the small
pond that is Canberra.

Regards, Andrew

Frex the Castor Dragon aka Andrew Boyd - frex at macrae.com.au
"Then the time comes when it is clear nothing new or important will
be done: and one draws out the ledger and begins to itemise what
there is, of value, that can be offered to posterity. And here is
a good deed, and there an act of courage: during this year one worthy
story was told, during that decade involvement in an important social
movement. If there are babies, that is logged in. If there are books,
they are noted. Loving friends. Wives and husbands. Kindness to
small animals. A hill bearing your name. But the laurels you've counted
on, they've turned to dust."
Harlan Ellison, Introduction to "Prayers to Broken Stones"