Re: [RML] Bioengineered Cyclops

Liz Wilhite (Satirica at gmail.com)
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:18:44 -0700

------=_Part_1963_1627619.1113495524651

I was surprised because I have friends who do bioengineering of plants,=20
which is much less costly than doing bioengineering animals. And ya gotta=20
wonder why anyone would go to the time and expense of bioengineering=20
cyclops.=20
Liz

On 4/14/05, Gary Lange <rainbowfish4u2 at yahoo.com> wrote:=20
>=20
> I guess I'm going to have to do some more research on this but I really=20
> DOUBT that the cyclops are bioengineered in the usualy sense. They may ha=
ve=20
> selected for a cyclops that produced higher amounts of astaxanthin but th=
is=20
> is a fairly complex organism. It usually takes a lot of money, time and=20
> effort to do something like this. I went to their website and yes they do=
=20
> use the word bioengineered. Kind of surprised that they said that.
> gary
>=20
> *Liz Wilhite <Satirica at gmail.com>* wrote:
>=20
> On 4/13/05, kentmarinesci <marinesci at verizon.net> wrote:=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Sorry guys, I was just going by the text on the label, which states
> > that Cyclop-eeze are bio-engineered and culutured micro-crustaceans,=20
> > grown in a pristine, shallow, arctic salt lake. Perhaps this
> > information is erroneous.
>=20
> Cyclops are naturally occuring but the ones in cyclop-eeze are in fact=20
> bio-engineered. http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/ Bioenegineered doesn't mean=20
> "dangerous".
> Liz
>=20=20
--=20
Breakthroughs are not achieved through consensus thinking.

------=_Part_1963_1627619.1113495524651

I was surprised because I have friends who do bioengineering of plants, which is much less costly than doing bioengineering animals. And ya gotta wonder why anyone would go to the time and expense of bioengineering cyclops.

Liz

I guess I'm going to have to do some more research on this but I really DOUBT that the cyclops are bioengineered in the usualy sense.  They may have selected for a cyclops that produced higher amounts of astaxanthin but this is a fairly complex organism.  It usually takes a lot of money, time and effort to do something like this.  I went to their website and yes they do use the word bioengineered.  Kind of surprised that they said that.

gary

Liz Wilhite <Satirica at gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry guys, I was just going by the text on the label, which states
that Cyclop-eeze are bio-engineered and culutured micro-crustaceans,
grown in a pristine, shallow, arctic salt lake.  Perhaps this
information is erroneous.

Cyclops are naturally occuring but the ones in cyclop-eeze are in fact bio-engineered.  http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/   Bioenegineered doesn't mean "dangerous".

Liz

Do you Yahoo!?