RE: [RML] NANFA-L-- new US postal regulations (fwd)

Julie Zeppieri (bowluvr at hotmail.com)
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:37:21 -0700

Hmmm...

I guess that's all well and fine for native US fish, but why would anyone
*not* use a styro-lined box for rainbowfish????? They are much more
sensitive to ship than our tough-as-nails native fishes. Even natives
deserve better treatment than this -- to be mailed in just a bag in a
cardboard liner. Wow. :-( I always use a styro-lined box. Always.

Besides, I am not sure why breather bags and styro-lined boxes would be
incompatible. As long as I can get a hold of breather bags that have decent
seams (yunno, ones that actually *hold up* during the shipping process
without blowing seams and thus killing the fish) then I have never had any
problems whatsoever with styro boxes and breather bags. That just seems
silly. Almost NO styro-lined boxes out there are completely airtight, so
they should get some air exchange throughout their time in the box. This guy
is wrong. They work fine in these boxes in my experience. It's getting
decent breather bags that has been the hardest part for me.

Maybe UPS is cheaper, and I have no doubt that the fish arrive on time, but
the idea that one must go there solely due to a need for a styro-lined
shipping container... well I just don't get why one would not use one to
begin with. At least with Express Mail I get my shipping money back when
they are late. Since I pack fish to last at **least** 60-hrs then I really
don't mind them arriving a bit late. ;-) Just more money back into our
pockets. Getting a refund today for that matter. One day late, and all fish
were in excellent shape. :-) Almost 25 bucks back to us and the shipping
ends up free.

Now Priority Mail... well that's another story all together. If it was at
all easy for me to use UPS and I could ship fish almost as cheap as Priority
then I would switch. Sadly it is not. The trick then is to use breather bags
and pack so that there is no clue the box contains water. Again, use the
darn styro liner (sheesh). Use a heat pack if the weather is cool/colder
(not dead of winter tho -- I don't use Priority then at all). Nestle the
bags into styro packing peanuts to insure they have some air circulation.
Lable simply as "Perishable - please keep from extreme heat or cold." Gets
there on time. If you call it "Live Tropical Fish" it will take a week or
more. IMO, breather bags (IF you can find ones that hold up) are a must for
Priority shipping... at least they are out of my city. For Express, I don't
bother using them. No need and the bags are too spendy. ;-)

Julie <><