RE: [RML]Mr Mathew Anybody

Matthew Stanton (matthews at sf.nsw.gov.au)
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:09:41 +1000

Yes. Go and print out Adrian Tappins "Home of the Rainbow".

The two books that used to be available are both out of print so any book
you can find would be a good start. The book titles I have forgotten but one
was by Gerald Allen and covered all of Australia. I think it was published
in 89. I heard a rumour that there was a new edition coming out. The other
is a book about SE Australian Fishes and was by McDowell. Another good
information source is to purchase/borrow/steal back issues of Fishes of
Sahul.
Other useful books are... Well I can't actually remember all the names as
they are sitting at home in my book shelf. That is my excuse for misspelling
all the fish names. I'm sure someone else will be able to remember what the
GA Rainbow fish books are called, and all the others.

The real answer to your question is that there is no definitive work on
Rainbowfish or most groups of our fish. That is what makes Rainbows and
other Australian fishes so interesting. You have a very good chance of
observing something new.

I don't currently have any fish for sale. I moved house this summer and gave
away loads of fish before I moved.
I can't recommend too strongly that you get along to an ANGFA meeting. I've
never been to a Brisbane(?) meeting but I'm sure they would have them
monthly and that they would be packed with knowledgeable fish heads. They
probably have an Auction of fish each month where you could get great fish
for the best price and they probably have a library that you can borrow fish
books from. At least that is what NSW meetings are like. We even have
interesting speakers occasionally.

Later...
Actually, Much later. I think I am going to unsubscribe until after the
Olympics. I am taking 5.5 months leave and I am too cheap to pay for my own
net connection.