RE: [RML] Ponds

Matthew Stanton (matthews at sf.nsw.gov.au)
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:01:50 +1000

Darrell,
Can you give us some more info about the pond. Is it deep? How is it lined?
Is there any water flow or filtration? Is there vegetation that drops leaves
(nutrients) into the pond? Do you have pond snails? Have you been feeding
the fish?

Waterflow and filtration can help reduce algae growth and it helps to
localise what growth does occur to make it easier to remove.
Deeper ponds have more "sink" capacity and are more stable than shallower
ponds.

The algae probably formed the spawning medium for your Blue-eyes and would
act as excellent cover for the fry. The spawning season should now have
finished so if you can find a simple way to remove the algae you should have
an excellent means of removing excess nutrients from the pond.