Re: [RML] Rads & Rainbows VS ferral fish!

peter.unmack at ASU.Edu
Sun, 09 Apr 2000 10:03:57 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Dennis Holmes wrote:

> Will I find colour variations or body shapes of the same Rainbows in
> different creeks or would that just be the stage of maturity they are at?

Different populations often show different colour patterns, sometimes subtle,
sometimes very different.

> I've put one of the female fish with no spot in with my son's guppies, 2
> weeks ago, now it has the black spot, is it a guppy or can Gambusia cross
> breed?

They don't cross. Feamles store sperm, hence they always tend to be pregnant,
hence they don't need males very often. Look at the picture on
http://www.peter.unmack.net/gambusia these fish are dead, but they look similar in
real life as far as the spotting patterns.

> Sorry to bug you with so many silly questions I'm just hungry for
> knowledge(I'm also not good at spelling)

Only way to learn is to ask (and/or read). You should a couple web searches
though, and read over Adrain Tappin's site which is a goldmine for information
on popular Aussie natives. http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/home.htm

Cheers
Peter Unmack