Re: desert fishes -- thriving but....(fwd)

Peter Rissler (Peter_Rissler at Rissler.Reno.NV.US)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 08:41:03 -0800

Peter J. Unmack wrote:

> A little good news for a change. :-)
>
> >From: KHOHM at aol.com
> >Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 19:31:30 -0500
> >To: springfish at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
> >Subject: Re: desert fishes -- thriving but....
> >
> >Good news! Moapa dace project in southern Nevada is moving right along, from
> >the sounds of it....
> >My contacts at The Nature Conservancy tell me that the resort at the Warm
> >Springs site has been purchased by TNC from Del Webb company in exchange for
> >the north Las Vegas land that company wants to develop. That means The Nature
> >Conservancy is now proud owner of nearly 30 acres. This is the site of
> >planned spring restoration -- great news for a desert fish that was down to
> >about 30 individuals as of last year.
> >First order of business is to replace towering palms with something more
> >native and less flamable, then begin stream work. I plan to go out and
> >participate!
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Kathryn

Just curious, was the 30 moapa dace found only at the site of the TNC purchase. At the Desert Fishes Council
meeting in Reno, the National Biological Service had a poster board that listed over 3800 Moapa dace
observed during snokel counts conducted in 1994.

Pete Rissler